As a workout beginner, you want to use your time effectively and reach your goals quickly. The ultimate workout routine for beginners should include between 30 and 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise on most weekdays, however you also need to develop a total-body strength training routine to tone muscles and boost metabolism.
Not sure where to start with your strength-building workout routine for beginners? We’re here to help. Put on a pair of weight lifting gloves to protect your hands, and perform one to three sets of eight to 12 repetitions of each of the exercises below.
The Ultimate Strengthening Workout Routine for Beginners: 5 Moves
- Shoulder Press: Hold a dumbbell in each hand while standing or sitting. Position hands in front of your shoulders with palms facing forward. Exhale and straighten arms to press the weights overhead. Inhale and slowly bend elbows as you return to the starting position.
- Arm Curl: Hold a dumbbell in each hand with arms extended at your sides and palms facing forward. Exhale, bend elbows and curl the weights toward your shoulders. Curl the weights as high as possible and finish with palms facing your shoulders. Pause for one second at the top and then slowly lower the weights to the starting position.
- Arm Extension: To perform this move, stand or sit with your back straight and abdominal muscles pulled in to support your posture. Hold a dumbbell in your right hand with your arm extended overhead and palm facing forward. Keep your elbow close to your head as you inhale and slowly bend your elbow to lower the weight behind your head. Exhale and straighten arm to the starting position.
- Ball Crunch: Lie face-up on a stability ball with the ball positioned against the middle of your back. Bend knees and place feet on the floor. Widen the distance between your feet if the movement feels unstable. Cross arms over your chest or place hands behind your head for a greater challenge. Tighten your core by pulling your navel toward your spine. Exhale and raise your chest toward your legs. Sit all the way up if you are able to, but try to not move the ball. Inhale and lower your torso to the starting position.
- Lunge: Stand tall with feet together. Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Step forward approximately 2 feet with your right foot. Inhale, bend both knees and lower into the lunge. Exhale and return to the starting position. Repeat on the other leg.
Adopting a total-body workout for beginners saves time and helps you reach your fitness goals. As your fitness level improves, gradually increase the weight load to keep challenging your muscles so you can continue to see results.